Today Microsoft hosted their SharePoint Virtual Summit 2017. One of the most important events or happenings of the year for everyone interested in SharePoint.
Some of the highlights according to me:
- Better connect the different collaboration Office 365 tools together, such as Planner, SharePoint, Teams and Yammer. Not perfect from what I could see but at least a bit better. Include and Office 365 calendar or a Yammer feed on a SharePoint page etc.
- On demand file syncing (announced earlier) for OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Share files from within the file explorer so you don’t have to open the web browser to do that.
- As I understood it, it will be possible to extend current SharePoint sites to Office 365 groups in some way. Few details but will be interesting to learning more about.
- New communication sites that replaces the old publishing sites. They look quite nice. Modern and responsive interface, multi column, paste formatting from Office, embed Yammer feeds in a different and mobile way, new webparts, drag and drop pictures from file explorer, people webpart, Stream webpart etc. Site usage and insights. Released later this year and this was the first demo that I have seen of the new communication sites.
- SharePoint site and list extensibility, like custom formatting in lists etc. using extensions built in SharePoint framework (development needed), webhooks.
- Out of box approval and collect feedback Flows to utilize.
- PowerApps forms within SharePoint to customize list forms.
- New SharePoint admin experience inc. support for group sites.
- Better search from the SharePoint start page that also include people.
- Conditional access policies per site. Like restricting sharing for certain domains and other tools.
Couple of interesting links with breakout sessions.
”An overview of SharePoint communication sites”
”Updates to Yammer: Integrating conversations into your SharePoint”
”OneDrive for Business updates: simplified sharing and files on demand”
”New admin controls for SharePoint and OneDrive for Business”